• Playlist
Playlist save clear
Your playlist is currently empty.


Who We Are 


What is Division of Sound?

Division of Sound is "one-stop" music licensing agency and pitch house that offers pre-cleared music from upcoming indie bands and producers in a variety of genres for use in synchrinization licensing. We are NOT a production or stock music library. 


We DO NOT take any publishing, so it is not necessary for us to re-title and re-register the works in our catalog with your Performance Rights Organization.


Is Division of Sound exclusive? 

No. Division of Sound is NON-EXCLUSIVE. This means that you still own 100% of your work. This also means that you are free to follow through with any other licensing opportunities and join any other non-exclusive service you wish to. 

If Division of Sound receives a request to use your song exclusively, you will be contacted, given the terms of the request and you will have the final say as to whether to accept those terms or not.


What rights am I giving Division of Sound in the Non-Exclusive License Agreement?

You give Division of Sound the right to license your songs on a non-exclusive basis to client(s) worldwide, on your behalf. The license fees will be determined by Division of Sound based on certain variables that are taken into consideration (i.e. type of usage, budget, length of song used, etc.). 

If Division of Sound receives a request to use your song exclusively, you will be contacted, given the terms of the request and you will have the final say as to whether to accept those terms or not. 

Division of Sound recommends having this Agreement reviewed by an attorney prior to signing it to assure you understand what rights you are giving Division of Sound.


Does Division of Sound keep any of the “back-end” royalties?

Division of Sound does not keep any of the "back-end" royalties, they are 100% yours. Keep in mind that this also means that Division of Sound does not register your songs with your Performance Rights Organization, nor do we collect any royalties. This is the writer's and publisher's responsibility.


How long are the terms of the Agreement?

You agree to keep your tracks in the catalog for at least one (1) year while you still retain 100% ownership of the tracks. After the first year, you may terminate the Agreement by submitting written notice to Division of Sound.



Client FAQ


Why should I license music from Division of Sound?

Division of Sound represents independent artists that each have their own unique fresh sound. We are not a production or stock music library and we provide only the highest quality music by exercising certain quality control measures to assure the music is broadcast quality.

Division of Sound also assures that we receive clearance from all interested parties (songwriters, publishers and master rights owners) prior to uploading the song to our catalog. This will enable you to license a song immediately without having to wait for the rights to be cleared.


Can I license a song exclusively, if needed?

We must first get the appropriate approval from the artist/publisher prior to licensing any material exclusively. As long as they approve the terms of your request, you will be able to exclusively license the song.


How does your search work?

You can quickly and easily navigate our catalog by any audible criteria, performer or writer data, release information, or any combo of these. Our multi-faceted and indexed search allows you to drill down again and again until the perfect match is found!

Search descriptively by: Tempo, BPM, mood, key signature, mode (major/minor), rhythm complexity, timbre, vocal type, pitch and more.

You can also title your searches (i.e. Classic Rock, CSI Season 1) , save them, set alerts for when new tracks are added that meet your saved criteria or share your refined searches with others to get their feedback.


What is SynchStage and how does it work?

SynchStage is our video synchronization tool that will allow you to synchronize your own uploaded video with selected music from our database. You can visually offset the audio against the video, set cue points, control and fade volume levels, clip, edit, save, share, and collaborate with one another across multiple sync projects.


About Music Licensing


What is music licensing and how does it work?

Music licensing is the use of copyrighted music. It is intended to assure that the artists and songwriters are paid and compensated for their work. Any music you hear while watching a commercial, movie, television or playing a video game, the song had to be licensed in order to be played. When music is licensed for these purposes, there are two types of licenses that are issued:

1. Synchronization License.

This gives the client the right to use the selected song in audiovisual productions. This applies only to the "song". These rights are owned by the writers and publishers.

2. Master Use License.

This license grants the same rights as the Synchronization License, but it pertains to the actual master "sound recording" of the song. These rights are owned by the record label.

When an artist licenses a track to a client, the artist is giving their permission to use the selected track in their project for whatever purposes the artist agrees. The client pays a one time "up-front" licensing fee, and the artist will also receive "back-end" royalties, when and if applicable.


Do I need to register my music with the United States Copyright Office?

It is a good idea to copyright your original music if you are going to be licensing it. Though anything you create is automatically copy written as soon as you write it down, obtaining a physical copyright holds much more clout in court, if ever needed.


Can the song(s) contain a sample from another recording?

All music in the Division of Sound catalog must be 100% original and free of any and all music samples from other recordings, unless you have the rights to use the selected sample.

If you have the rights, please provide the appropriate documentation.


Do I have to be a member of a Performance Rights Organization?

In order to collect your "back-end" royalties, you must become a member of a Performance Rights Organization. The three Performance Rights Organizations in the United States are ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC.


International Performance Rights Organizations


Argentina: SADAIC
Australia: APRA
Austria: AKM
Belgium: SABAM
Brazil: UBC
Canada: SOCAN
Chile: SCD
Colombia: SAYC
Costa Rica: ACAM
Denmark: KODA
England/UK: P.R.S.
Finland: TEOST
France: SACEM
Germany: GEMA
Greece: AEPI
Hong Kong: CASH
Iceland: STEF
India: IPRS
Ireland: IMR
Israel: ACUM
Italy: SIAE
Korea: KOMCA
Mexico: SACM
Norway: TON
Paraguay: APA
Phillipines: FILSCAP
Poland: ZAiKS
Portugal: SPA
Russia: RA
South Africa: SAMR
Spain: SGAE
Sweden: STIM
Switzerland: SUISA
The Netherlands: BUMA
Uruguay: AGADU
Venezuela: SACVEN
Powered by Synchtank® V2.9 | Patents Pending